Wednesday, December 9, 2009

December 9, 2009

Here is something I just posted on a message board. I attribute the demise of the soap opera as a genre, at least in part, to the plethora of spoilers we have these days. We are given too much advance information, IMO. I can remember a time when we didn't know what was going to happen until the episode aired; a time when we were given hints, but no more than hints, of what was coming. "A beloved character returns," or, "(So and so) makes a shocking discovery," or "The killer is revealed." Perhaps it is time to eliminate the spoilers and bring back the suspense. *************************************************************************************** I remember my first prayer as a Catholic. {I am a Jewish convert to Catholicism} I converted in my very early 20s; my Godmother was a young woman, just a couple of years older. She was so nervous that she was actually chewing bubble gum. I had really planned to pray, inwardly, something deep and meaningful. Instead, my first prayer as a Catholic was, "Lord, please don't let her pop a bubble!" ********************************************************************************* Helen Wagner, as Nancy Hughes, spoke the very first line on ATWT. IMO, she should be the one to speak the last line. ********************************************************************************** As I type this, I have my FarmVille farm minimized, and my animals are calling! ****************************************************************************** Priests For Life ******************************************************************************* CURRENTLY READING "The Chalet School and Robin", by Caroline German. {juvenile fiction, school series} (This is one of the fill-in titles.) "The Art Spirit", by Robert Henri (nonfiction) "Pirkei Avos Treasury" (I prefer this to the version I started reading online, because it has commentaries, which the online version lacks.) (Judaica, nonfiction}

Followers

Blog Archive